I turn 50 this week. That has led me to reflect on how far I’ve come over the years. I do have a little wisdom that I’ve learned, some of it the hard way, as we all have. Maybe I can smooth the way for someone else by sharing it here:
1. Love is all you need. (Yes, the Beatles were right.) Overall, love is the most meaningful, most empowering thing in my life. And it has changed the world; look at the work of Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. for starters.
2. All we have is each other and nature. So take care of both. Show respect for all people and all of the natural world. (You don’t have to talk to ravens like I do, but it can’t hurt.)
3. Tell your family and friends that you love them. (Okay maybe not in so many words if that’s not your style. But show them, somehow.) If they know you care about them, then you’ll have fewer regrets in life.
4. Express/accept yourself. You are the only “you” on this planet. And you live with yourself 24/7. Don’t try to be like anyone else. Respect yourself and become the best “you” that you can be.
5. Take care of your body, mind, spirit. Eat healthy, exercise, practice balance in your life. Learn something new every day, feed your soul with things you love, and do whatever formal or informal spiritual practice helps you to grow and flourish.
That’s probably enough for one post. Five more next week! 🙂
Anything on the list that strikes a nerve with you, or anything that I should include that you don’t see yet?